Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

The Renunciator (a work in progress)

Don’t ask me to renounce the beer in my refrigerator,
Or my stereo system, no not that
And whatever you do, don’t ask me for my computer.

What’s that you say?

You’d like a beer.

Well I’ve got a whole refrigerator full.
Take as much as you want.

Come again?

You say your stereo is broken?

Well I’m not using mine.
Here, let me help you take it home.

Say what?

You know someone who needs a computer?

Well mine's obsolete and it’s nothing but a money sump.

But if they need it,
I’ll pack it tomorrow and I’ll send it overnight express
They’ll have it tomorrow.
But please, please, pleeaaaasssseee whatever you do...
Don’t ask me to renounce that apple pie
Baking, as we speak, in my oven.

No not that. Anything but that

Oh, you’re hungry?

What a coincidence.

Sit right down.

Let me get you a fork and a plate.

You see, it just so happens that the best apple pie in the universe

Is in my oven right now.

I’ll even wrap up the leftovers for you to take home.

You say you really want my ego,

You say you really want my misconceptions,
My misperceptions,
My sense of smallness,
My sense of separation.
My limited understanding.

But what would I do without all that?

How would I live?

Oh I get it.

If I give you all that I’ll remember:

I am you,

You are me.

Why didn’t you say that from the beginning.

Oh, ha ha, you did.

I forgot.

I give you everything that never belonged to me anyway.

I give you my ego.

You give me myself.

Boy did I get a bargain or what?

In this ofttimes-strange world, we have only each other.
You are there for me.
I am here for you.

Whatever you do, though, just don’t ask me to…….


Comments:
very profoundly mystic and beautiful expression.
 
Mark--This is beautiful. I love it. I wasn't expecting it to go where it went (giving up the ego). This is such a strong piece of writing. Lovely. Thank you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?